Below is a list of various policy documents by humanitarian agencies and regional bodies that emphasize on the protection of migrants and upholding of human dignity.
1. The European Union common immigration policy (2008) lays out ten common principles which are based on Europe’s commitment to uphold universal values such as protection of refugees, respect for human dignity and tolerance.
2. The UNHCR Refugee Protection and Mixed Migration a 10 point plan (2007), is a guide on how humanitarian agencies and States could take protection responsibilities over irregular movements of migrants.
3. The IOM irregular migration and mixed flows policy paper (2008) emphasizes on a comprehensive approach to migration management that takes into account the legitimate sovereign authority of States and the fundamental human rights of migrants.
4. The African Union (AU) Migration Policy Framework (2006) identifies 9 key thematic migration issues with sub-themes which provides a comprehensive and integrated policy guideline and makes recommendations for consideration by AU Member States and Regional Economic Communities.
5. The Global Approach to Migration and Mobility (GAMM), renewed in 2011, is the EU's framework for dialogue and cooperation with non-EU countries of origin, transit and destination.